Last week I cracked open my piggybank, gave my morals the day off, and bought a Blackberry used on eBay. It will replace my xv6700, which I love dearly, except for the part where it runs Windows Mobile 5. I hate that part. I also detest the way Verizon has poisoned the deal by preventing me from installing Java apps on it.

But I digress. I got a Blackberry. Now I could install all of those lovely Java apps that Google is releasing these days, right? This was very exciting. Seriously exciting—I ripped open the box the minute it arrived.

Sadly, my euphoria was short-lived. After some back and forth with Verizon, my phone was activated and online. But, every time I tried to install a Java application (mobile Gmail, mobile Google maps, Opera Mini, etc., etc.) I got this error:

HTTP Error 406: Not Acceptable

The page you are trying to load is not supported by the browser. Please try loading a different page.

Details: 200: Application can not accept the content [text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor]

I’ll admit it, I pouted.

And then I did some research. And waited on hold with RIM customer service for about 3 hours.

What I discovered was this: my Blackberry was formerly part of a monolithic corporate network. It was chained to an Enterprise Account. The all-powerful IT Department bestowed their Security Policy upon it. And now, that Security Policy, much like a hot iron brand, is officially with it for life. Wiping the device cannot remove it. Kicking, screaming, and threatening to sue RIM cannot remove it. The original owner’s IT Department can remove it, by sending a new Security Policy, but that would involve figuring out who and where they are, and persuading them to do work that they have pretty much zero incentive to do.

The Security Policy seared onto my Blackberry does not allow third party apps to be installed. So, I would be right back where I was with my WM5 phone if it weren’t for the Awesome Power of the Internet.

Here’s your solution

If you are also having this problem, you may want to take a quick look at this page: http://blackberry.ig3.net/

Now, I’m still in a little bit of a pickle, because I don’t have a PC. Therefore, I’m stuck trying to make Parallels play nice with USB devices. When (and if) I get it all to work out, I’ll post an update.

The Update

The workaround is great—the only problem I had was getting my Windows running under Parallels to recognize my Blackberry. I finally gave up and just used an old PC laptop we had lying around the office.